Monday, September 6, 2010

Music - So Good for the Soul!

I love music! If I could be anything I wanted to be when I grow up, I would choose to be a performing artist belting out heartfelt songs to the rhythm of the acoustic guitar in my hands. But, alas, I have not one iota of talent in the music arena. None. What. So. Ever. I accept that. But, there is nothing that is going to stop me from singing along with those that do have talent in the privacy of my home or car. It is so good for the soul!

There are three occasions in my life when I have total control over the music I listen to: 1) When I am exercising and have my iPod Shuffle earphones snuggly fitted around my earlobes; 2) when I am driving and am the sole occupant of the car; and 3) when I am down in the basement at my work table. When I am woodburning, I get a double dose of good things for the soul.

I have playlists I frequently update, and I am grateful to Steve Jobs and his team at Apple for making it so easy to access and queue up songs for any mood! While I like many genres of music, there are a number of songs that just seem to resonate within, whether it’s the lyrics, the beat – or a combination of both. Other songs just seem to take me back in time to a specific period or event, or bring to mind a special person.

Sometimes, a song will come along that I just can’t get enough of. Lately, I keep hitting “replay” on Jewel’s “Hands.” I love the lyrics. The song seems to reach inside and draw something out, as do so many songs I listen to that remind me that I am merely an instrument. I believe music can be a conduit for spiritual messages – whether the artist intends it to be or not. “Hands” reminds that we I am one of God’s servants here on earth…his hands, his eyes, his heart.


“My hands are small, I know
But they're not yours, they are my own…
And I am never broken…
In the end only kindness matters…
…I will get down on my knees, and I will pray
…We are never broken
We are God's eyes
God's hands
God's mind…
…God's heart
…We are God's eyes
…We are God's hands”

My hands are small…and they are my own. And, while I didn’t receive the gift of music, God did grace me with a talent that allows me to use my little hands to create some beauty in the world. I only pray that I may be a worthy servant!

Carousel for Grace

This week, I finished burning the carousel for one of my nieces and the frog and butterfly another niece requested. (I have A LOT of nieces and nephews, so you will be seeing some of their requests fulfilled over the coming weeks and months…)




Frog & Butterfly for Kaetlyn

I haven’t applied color yet as I haven’t decided what medium I am going to use. I may experiment with oil pencils in a way I haven’t before – putting down the color with the pencils and then blending with turpentine. Then again, I may just use watercolors. I am off to Michael’s and A.C. Moore with some 50%-off coupons. The success of the trip may determine the medium…

I wish you a Happy Labor Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment